July 9th & 10th
DEADLINE: June 10th
The 16th Copa Del Mar Sharks Invitational Tournament is a Class I Tournament open to USYSA, US Club Soccer, Super Y League, AYSO, and FIFA affiliated teams. We will also have Class III brackets for 2017 and 2016 age brackets.
All games will be played in San Diego County. The tournament is located only 90 minutes from Disneyland, 45 minutes from the Mexican border, and 20 minutes to all the sights of the San Diego area including the internationally renowned San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park, Sea World, and Legoland California.
Each team is guaranteed three (3) games.
Top-quality trophies, as well as individual medals, will be presented to teams finishing in 1st and 2nd place.
Nike Premier Event
Games played at Del Mar Polo Fields, and 4S Ranch Sports Park
|2015 – 2017||$650|
|2013 – 2014||$850|
|2011 – 2012||$1000|
|2004 – 2010||$1050|
Schedules / Scores
Event Fields Schedules
Rules -(Updated 7/7/22)
DMCV Sharks – COPA Del Mar
11855 Sorrento Valley Rd., Ste. 506
San Diego, CA 92121
- Laminated US Club Soccer or USYSA player cards will be required of all players as proof of age and must be available for inspection at initial check-in and at the start of each game.
- Either 2021/2022 or 2022/2023 season player identification cards will be accepted at check-in, and they must ALL be from the same year and same association.
- Proper Player Loan Forms will be required at Registration along with other required credentials, as required by the team’s State Association.
- All teams must provide the US Club or USYSA Player I.D. Cards from the State Association listed on this application.
- The Copa Del Mar Tournament will also accept teams registering under the US Club Soccer banner. Player I.D. Cards from associations other than US Club Soccer or USYSA will not be accepted.
- Medical release forms will be required for all players at initial check-in. Teams will be required to keep medical releases on hand at all times.
- Teams may register a maximum of 26 players 2010-2004
- Teams may register a maximum of 16 players for 2013-2012
- Team may register a maximum of 12 players for 2017-2014
- A team may use up to five (5) guest players, but any team utilizing guest players is still limited to the maximum roster size as set above.
RULES OF PLAY:
All games will be played under FIFA rules with US Club adjustments for youth competition with the following additions and clarifications:
- Each team will play a minimum of 3 games. Preliminary Games can end in a tie.
- Quarter/Semi and Final games ending in a tie after regulation will proceed immediately to FIFA penalty kicks to determine who advances or is awarded the trophy. Penalty Kicks will immediately follow the game.
Duration of Games (by halves), and Ball size are as follows:
|Division (Birth)||Prelim Minutes/Half||Semis and Finals Min/Half||Competition||Ball Size|
|U7-U6 (2016 & 2017)||25||25||7v7||4|
Preliminary games will be terminated not less than five (5) minutes prior to the scheduled start of the next game regardless of the amount of time played in each half up to that point. A game is “complete” upon completion of one half of play regardless of the circumstances of termination during the second half, with final results based on the score at termination. A preliminary game can end in a tie.
Half-time will be exactly five (5) minutes.
The Tournament will use a 10-point system. Teams will be awarded points on the following basis:
- Six (6) points for each Win
- Three (3) points for each Tie
- Zero (0) points for each Loss
- One (1) point for each goal scored up to a maximum of three (3) per game
- One (1) point for each shutout
- Minus one (-1) for each player or coach ejected
- A 0-0 tie will be scored as 4 points for each team (3 for tie, 1 for shutout)
Wild Card Teams:
Wild Card teams advancing to quarter or semi-finals will not play the champion from their own bracket unless they meet again in the finals. Schedules will be adjusted accordingly.
Delays of the game due to injury will result in appropriate time being added to the full game time, based on the judgment of the referee. However, all preliminary games will be terminated not less than five (5) minutes prior to the scheduled start of the next game.
In the event of a tie, the winner will be determined as follows:
- The winner in head-to-head competition.
- Fewest goals against.
- Most goals for.
- Most total wins.
- Most shut outs.
- If a tie still exists after steps 1 through 5, FIFA. penalty kicks will be taken.
Championship and semifinal games ending in a tie, after regulation time, will go immediately to FIFA kicks from the penalty mark to determine the winner.
Small Sided Game Rules
- There will be no heading in any 7v7 or 9v9 games.
- There will be no punting in any 7v7 games. Any ball punted will result in an indirect free-kick for the opposing team at the corner of the box closest to the infringement.
- Goal kicks ARE allowed.
- Offside will be called in 7v7 games if players are past the build out line in the attacking half.
- Any goal scored directly from a 7v7 kick-off will not count.
- The build out line will be implemented for goal kicks and goalie possession in 7v7 games. Defending team must stay beyond the build out line until the goal kick is taken or the goal puts the ball back in play.
- All teams who forfeit will have the game(s) scored as a 0-1 loss.
- The winner will be awarded eight (8) points (6 for the win; 1 for a goal and 1 for a shutout). If, at the discretion of the Tournament Director, a forfeit provides an unfair advantage, the Tournament Director may make an adjustment in the bracket.
- Teams forfeiting their first game will be assumed to forfeit all of their games unless they contact the Tournament Director at least 3 hours prior to their subsequent game.
Teams will forfeit for any of the following reasons:
- Teams fail to check in at the required location, ready to play five minutes before the scheduled kick off time.
- Home team fails to produce an alternate color jersey if referee determines there is a color conflict.
- Teams fail to produce laminated player passes and/or a coach’s pass.
- Teams fail to report to the field with the minimum number of players required to start the game (4 for 7v7, 6 9v9, and 7 for 11v11).
- Coach is ejected and fails to leave the field when directed to do so.
- Coach is ejected and there is no other coach or administrator with a coach’s pass available.
- Game is suspended due to the misconduct of players, coaches, administrators, parents or spectators.
There will be no refunds to teams who forfeit their own games.
- Teams will check in with the referee prior to the game.
- Each team manager or representative will be required to turn in the game card to the Field Marshall Tent 30 min before the start of each game.
- The coach/manager will report the score to the Field Marshal.
Safety of the Game:
- The Tournament Director has the final say on the determination of safety and suitability of each player’s equipment, including the wearing of a hard brace and/or hard cast. Shin guards are mandatory for all players.
- After the start of a match the referee will decide whether or not playing conditions are safe.
- All Teams U11 (2009) and younger shall not head the ball. Heading inside the box will result in an indirect free kick at the corner at the top of 18 closest to the infraction. If heading occurs outside the box, an indirect free kick is awarded at the spot of the infraction.
The referee has the final determination as to the safety of each player’s equipment. All players are required to use shin guards. No rings, chains, watches, or metal objects may be worn
Home Team Responsibilities:
- The Home Team will be the team which appears first on the game schedule.
- The Home Team will provide 3 game balls. The game balls are subject to referee approval.
- The Home Team will be required to switch to an alternate jersey to accommodate a color conflict as declared by the referee.
- If the Home Team cannot supply an alternate jersey, the Home Team will forfeit the game.
- The Home Team will have the selection of the side of the field from which they wish to play.
Substitutions are unlimited; however, teams may substitute only with the referee’s permission and per US Club rules.
Cautions and Ejections:
- A player or coach receiving two Cautions (yellow cards) in a single game is considered to have been given an Ejection (red card). Any players or coaches that have been ejected will result in a one-point deduction from the teams point total.
- A player who has been ejected (sent off) will not be replaced.
- A player or coach who has been ejected will not return for that game and must leave the field of play and will not be allowed to participate in the next scheduled game.
- A player or coach who is ejected for violent conduct or serious foul play will not be allowed to participate in the next two scheduled games.
- Any player or coach who assaults a referee will be expelled from the Tournament and the case will be escalated to US Club.
- A team will be disqualified from the Tournament if any player or coach fails to comply with the provisions of this section.
- Cards for ejected players or coaches will be available at the Main Tournament HQ Tend after they have satisfied their penalty.
- No protests will be allowed, and all games will be considered final.
- The Tournament Director will resolve any situation not explicitly covered by the rules.
- Disputes relating to the interpretation of these rules will be resolved with the Tournament Director and Administrators/Coaches that are registered with the involved team(s).
- Individuals may not represent a team if not registered as an Administrator/Coach with the involved team(s).
Field Safety/Inclement Weather:
- The Referee or Tournament Director will determine if a field is safe for play. Teams are expected to show up for scheduled games times unless notified by a Tournament Official.
- Rain or other weather conditions will not delay play unless the Referee determines the fields are unsafe.
- If necessary, games may be shortened, go directly to FIFA Penalty Kicks or be canceled. If a game is terminated due to problems associated with the fields, including lighting for a night game, the team in the lead at the time of stoppage wins.
- If a Quarter or Semi-Final match cannot be played, FIFA penalty kicks will determine the winner. If the Final game cannot be played, the teams will be co-champions.
- Refunds will be made to any team withdrawing, in writing, prior to the Registration Deadline of June 10th, 2022, less any administrative fees incurred.
- Refunds will be made if the tournament is cancelled due to weather or conditions out of our control. The refund will be based on number of games played:
Refund policy – Determined by number of games played vs number of games canceled per team.
- One game canceled = $150.00 refund
- Two games canceled = $300.00 refund
- Three games played = No refund.
|Division (Birth)||Prelim Minutes/Half||Semis and Finals Min/Half||Competition||Ball Size|
|U7-U6 (2016 & 2017)||20||20||7v7||4|
- Code of CONDUCT:All players, coaches and spectators will be expected to demonstrate good sportsmanlike conduct. Coaches have total responsibility for the conduct of their players, substitutes, friends and spectators at all times. All Spectators should mirror their team on the sideline opposite of them. Inappropriate conduct by your team’s spectators can jeopardize your coach and/or team. If a referee terminates a game due to misconduct of players or spectators, the offending team will forfeit. The offending player, spectator or team may be banned from further participation in the tournament.At no time is there to be any alcoholic beverages at the tournament sites.
Pets are not allowed on any of the fields.This is a smoke-free environment; no smoking is allowed at any of the fields.After each game, please pick up the trash on your sideline and place it in one of the provided receptacles.Please help us keep the games on time by immediately collecting your things and clearing your sideline after your game. This will allow the next team to move into position and prepare for the start of their game.
1.) Remember to check-in with the field marshal 1 hour prior to your first game then 30 minutes prior to each game after with your team and game cards.
2.) Remember to pick up your player cards and game card from the field marshal after the end of each game. You will need them with you when checking in for your next game.